Cancer is a life-threatening disease not just for humans but for Vizslas. Usually, these dangerous disease makes your dog devastated and immuno-compromised. Besides this, Vizslas have a genetic makeup that is prone to cancer. So, you will find Vizslas dying of cancer more often.
So, why are Vizslas dying of cancer? There most common reason for cancer-related death in dogs is lack of proper treatment, and even if there is, the treatment is too expensive. Further, cancer in dogs is usually asymptomatic. So, you will notice prominent symptoms only at the advanced stage. And sometimes, the owners ignore this disease because they are sure that their dog will die either way with or without treatment. After all, the side effects of this treatment are also fatal.
Since cancer is a serious problem that is increasing nowadays due to the unhealthy diet, exposure to toxins, or lifestyle of Vizsla. Thus, I take it into my accounts to inform you all about this disease and why it is so dangerous. Therefore, I hope this article does its best to answer your queries.
Why Are My Vizslas Dying Of Cancer?
Vizslas are at risk of contracting cancer because they may inherit faulty genes. For example, the Vizsla breed carries the gene for hemangiosarcoma, a type of tumor that originates in blood vessels supplying organs and other tissues. The Vizsla can also develop lymphoma and osteosarcoma.
But even when Vizslas are susceptible to cancer, there are certain reasons why they are dying due to cancer. And they are:
Cancer Affects Most Organs Of Vizsla Body
Cancer affects most organs of the Vizsla’s body, but you will find it localized to one or two places more often. Further, cancer in a dog can be present anywhere – skin cancer, breast cancer, bone cancer are all possible locations for dogs with this disease.
Many times cancers originate from cells that have mutated to grow uncontrollably. Cancer cells can also spread through the bloodstream into other parts of a dog’s body, metastasis. Thus, once cancer starts, it is difficult to manage it until death.
Cancer Treatment Costs A lot Of Money.
Cancer is one of the most expensive diseases to treat, averaging around $30,000 per person in America. The latest estimation of the cost of cancer treatment is more than $125 billion this year alone, a number that has been steadily growing over time as treatments have become increasingly complicated and costly.
Besides this, the diseases have higher chances of reoccurrence, and side-effects of the treatment are also fatal. Therefore, a lot of people refuse to get cancer treatment for their Vizsla.
Cancer Has No Specific Treatment
Most of the cancer treatments available are to control the further growth and development of the disease. But there is no such treatment that can permanently eradicate cancer.
Thus, Vizsla owners should not hope for a miracle cure in their lifetime and leave the disease untreated once it occurs.
Vizslas Suffering From Cancer Dies Due To Lack Of Nutrition
Cancer is a disease in which unbalanced cells grow and divide uncontrollably. These cancerous cells can spread to other body parts, causing more harm than just where the initial tumor started.
Moreover, due to the growing cell mass, Vizslas shows unusual food habits. Sometimes, they eat too much and more often to less. Thus, the nutritional level is hard to maintain. As a result, the immune system becomes weak, and your dog cannot fight against the disease. Finally, it will cause Vizsla to die.
Cancer is a complex disease resulting from multiple genetic mutations combined with exposure to environmental toxins. Von Willebrand’s disease is a hereditary condition in Vizslas due to gene mutation. It lowers the dog’s ability to clot blood and prevents them from fighting off cancerous cells after exposure to certain carcinogens or mutated DNA.
Some breeds of Vizsla have an increased risk of developing cancer.
What Causes Cancer In Vizslas?
Many factors can cause cancer in Vizslas. However, the leading causes include genetics, environmental toxins, and radiation exposure.
- Genetics- a genetic mutation of the tumor suppressor gene or oncogene increases the risk of certain cancers (e.g., retinoblastoma).
- Environmental Toxins – such as tobacco smoke and benzene induce the development of some cancers.
- Radiation exposure- is also a leading cause of cancer in Vizslas, including leukemia, lung cancer, breast cancer, thyroid cancer, and skin cancer (e.g., melanoma).
Can I Save My Vizslas Dying Of Cancer?
There are many things you can do to help your Vizslas live a long, healthy life. But you cannot save your Vizsla from dying of cancer. It is sure to die one day.
However, having said that, it doesn’t mean you must sit and wait for your dog’s death. Instead, with some tips, you to stop cancer from proliferating more so that you can elongate your Vizsla’s lifespan. And also treat some cancers.
So, the tips to save your Vizsla from dying too early of cancer are:
- But, first, seek advice from professional vets.
- Keep the vaccinations up-to-date at all times and make sure to follow through with other suggested treatments.
- Ensure your Vizsla gets regular vet visits and tests to ensure early detection of cancer.
- Do not overfeed your Vizslas with the wrong food so that they can maintain a healthy weight, which is one important way you could help stop cancer from occurring in them.
- Feeding or supplementing with vitamin E can be effective in the prevention of cancer.
- Limit your Vizslas’ exposure to harmful chemicals by using an air purifier, not allowing them out into areas where they can inhale fumes and smoke, and avoid smoking near them or yourself.
- Vizsla owners should invest good quality time with their dogs so that they do not become anxious or lonely, increasing the risk of cancer.
Is Cancer Curable In Vizslas?
Cancer isn’t curable, but you can at least treat or control it. The possibility of cure and eradication of cancer depends upon the type, severity, and stage.
Some cancer is more severe and present in the delicate areas of your Vizsla’s body, making treatment difficult. But the early diagnosis can prevent late-stage complications from developing and increase the chances of cure.
Moreover, cancer treatment will differ depending on the type of cancer and stage of the disease. Sometimes a single does well enough, so Vizsla will need a combination of treatments.
The treatment for some cancers may include surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy. Surgeons use surgery as an adjunctive measure in certain cases where they find localized growth or lack of definitive diagnosis. Chemotherapy drugs may sometimes affect organs such as the heart, liver, and kidneys. Moreover, radiotherapy is another treatment option that kills cancer cells by damaging their DNA.
How Can I Prevent Cancer In Vizslas?
Cancer is a dangerous disease. And every year, about 1500 Vizslas are dying due to cancer. Thus, it is essential to prevent cancer in Vizsla.
Here are some tips to prevent cancer in Vizsla:
- Limit the intake of preservatives and artificial flavors in food. Processed, fatty foods also contain a lot of unhealthy ingredients that could lead to cancer.
- Keep your Vizsla away from secondhand smoke at all times because it can cause lung problems, including bronchitis and pneumonia, which is one of the main causes of cancer.
- Feed your dog a balanced diet. Don’t overfeed or underfeed them.
- Reduce the use of pesticides in gardens, as they can be harmful to Vizslas and other animals. Instead, it is best to plant safe flowers for your pet, like daisies or tulips.
- Schedule regular visits with the Vet for early diagnosis for effective medication and treatment.
- Take your Vizsla for health checkups when it behaves strangely or shows warning signs for cancer, such as weight loss, vomiting, or difficulty breathing.
- Give your Vizsla plenty of exercise.
- Avoid giving your Vizsla any antibiotics because they can damage their bodies and lead to cancer.
- Watch out for broken bones or bone tumors, as these are signs that could indicate cancer in the body.
Some people think that a pet owner’s lifestyle might affect their pets’ risk of developing cancer, but research does not support this claim. Instead, the best way to prevent cancer in Vizslas is by following these prevention tips and regularly visiting the Vet for earlier diagnosis of this disease.
In conclusion, cancer is a tough disease to fight. It’s easy to feel helpless when your dog starts going downhill, especially if you don’t know what caused cancer and should you treat it. But the steps mentioned above can help prolong their lives or make them more comfortable before sleeping in peace.
Don’t forget that these tips are not a cure for cancer, but they will help to prevent it from occurring too often. Hopefully, with the advancement in technology, scientists will develop new technologies for earlier diagnosis and effective treatment of cancer.