Most people wonder whether Vizsla is a good choice for first-time owners or not. People have been using Vizslas as hunting dogs for a long time. These dogs have also become popular companion animals because of how affectionate and gentle they can be. If you’re looking for a new dog to add to your family, then the Vizsla might be right for you. But do you think you can buy Vizsla as your first dog?
Considering their easy-going and friendly nature Vizsla is undoubtedly a good dog for first-time owners. Vizsla is a medium-sized that can be great for most families. They are obedient and eager to please their owners. Furthermore, these dogs have many abilities like smelling, hunting, and intelligence that make them good pets.
If you are planning to buy a dog for the first time, you may have doubts about whether Vizsla is a good option or not. Then, this post will be the best way to settle your confusion.
Is a Vizsla Dog Good for First Time Owners?
Yes and No. Yes, Vizslas are great first-time dog owners because they’re very gentle and obedient. They also have a low-shedding coat that’s easy to groom, making it excellent when living in an apartment or house with anyone allergic. If you want a dog who will be a great companion and protector for your family, then the Vizsla is perfect.
No, because they need a lot of attention. They also have high energy, which means that they may wander off if left outside alone or unsupervised for too long. So if you want to make sure your Vizsla is happy, you should be sure to spend enough time with them.
Reasons Why a Vizsla Dog Is Good for First Time Owners
Vizslas are great family dogs who are obedient and eager to please their owners. Some of the reasons why Vizsla will be a good option for first-time owners are:
- They are very obedient and gentle, which makes them great for families with toddlers or small children.
- Their coat is easy to groom, which means you won’t have too much hair around the house. Thus, they are perfect if anyone in your household has allergies because they only shed a low amount of fur each day, so there’s not a lot of extra dust.
- They are very loyal to their family, which means they will be a great protector!
- They will go on a run with you and want to be with their family.
- Vizslas are high-energy, which makes them perfect if you’re looking for an energetic dog.
- Vizslas are intelligent and, therefore, reasonably easy to train.
- Affectionate and gentle, which means they’re great for families.
- Good with children and small animals, but not so much with cats.
- They are very protective of their family, which makes them excellent watchdogs.
- Vizslas need a lot of attention and care to make sure that they stay happy.
- Vizslas are good for watchdogs, and they love to be with their family.
- They are therapy dogs and visit nursing homes, hospitals, and schools, which will help you with your depression.
- Vizslas need many exercises, which makes them great for active people who like to run or go hiking once in a while.
- Vizslas will follow you everywhere and want to be with their family.
Reasons Why Vizsla Isn’t Good for First Time Owners
Vizsla is an active dog which means that they need more attention and exercise than other breeds. It’s not enough to take them on a walk or give them some toys. They need to interact with every day. I know this sounds like common sense, but if you’re considering getting a Vizsla, then you need to make sure you have the time and patience for such a dog.
I will list out all the reasons why vizslas aren’t good for first-time owners:
- They need a lot of attention and exercise. So, it is better not to leave them alone or unsupervised for too long.
- Vizslas are high energy, so they may wander off if left outside alone or unsupervised for too long. If you want your Vizsla dog happy and healthy, then that’s not an option.
- The Vizsla is a good watchdog, but they are territorial and bark at anything unfamiliar to them. It can be problematic if you have neighbors who don’t like dogs because the vizslas may make your life miserable for this reason (and it’s often difficult to stop barking.
- Not a dog for smaller apartments or living in an urban setting
- They are high maintenance and require a lot of special care, from grooming to brushing, bathing, feeding, and many more.
- Vizslas need regular exercise, mental stimulation, and physical, so it’s not enough to take them on walks or give them some toys. They need daily interaction and motivation for the best use of their excessive energy.
- These dogs have high energy, so if you don’t take them on walks or interact with them every day, they could get themselves into trouble.
What Should You Know Before Owning A Vizsla?
If you’re considering a vizsla as your next dog, be aware that they are very high energy and need a lot of attention. You should never leave them alone or unsupervised for too long because it can become dangerous quickly if they wander off. Vizsla can also make life difficult for neighbors if they tend to bark at anything unfamiliar.
The Vizsla is a hunting dog that stands between 16 and 24 inches tall and weighs between 45 and 65 pounds.
They have an average lifespan of 12-15 years (consider getting pet insurance).
Vizsla: Physical Activity
Vizsla can be high energy, but they are territorial, so leaving them outside alone or unsupervised for too long may not work well.
The Vizsla is a high-maintenance dog and requires grooming, bathing, regular exercise, and mental stimulation in addition to physical activity each day.
If you have patience for such a dog, then the Vizsla is worth it. Vizslas need daily interaction. If you fail to give them proper training, this can lead to them getting into trouble without supervision.
Personality And Behavior
They are also territorial, which means that if someone came to visit while the Vizsla was outside, it may bark and make life difficult for the visitor and your neighbors who might not like dogs (and you can’t stop them from barking).
The Vizsla is a good watchdog too. They will bark to alert you when someone is near your house or if they hear a car coming up the street.
They are also very loyal and good with kids. But you need to teach the children how to act around dogs and not bother them while eating their food or playing in their space.
You need to feed vizsla high-quality dog food. They are skinny dogs, but they need a lot of food because they are very active.
Vizsla: Living Environment
It’s not a good idea to have Vizslas in smaller apartments or living in an urban environment. These dogs do not do well in limited space for them. They need proper space for daily exercise and mental stimulation.
Vizsla: Health Concerns
They are also prone to joint problems and eye issues, so that they might need exceptional food for their joints and frequent vet visits.
Other health issues in vizslas are:
- Heart problems (canine cardiac syndrome)
- Legg Perthes Disease
- Epilepsy or seizures are not uncommon for this breed, especially as they get older. It is a genetic disorder and is incurable.
- Canine degenerative myelopathy (DM)
In conclusion, Vizsla will not always be the best choice for first-time owners. They require a lot of attention and can be challenging to manage in an apartment with limited space, but if you’re looking for a very loyal dog, good with kids, and makes an excellent watchdog, then this might be your perfect breed. However, if you plan to get a Vizsla for the first time, you can always volunteer at a shelter or rescue. It will help them to socialize and makes them familiar with humans handling them.